Monday, June 25, 2012

Soul Care


A friend told me last week that “soul care” is taking a breather to relax and recuperate and, according to psychologists, the key to staying sane.

Well I’m not very good at soul care.

Last week I had a number of adventures that began with a wonderful trip home to visit friends and family and ended in an “end-of-my-rope” and “lay-in-bed-ill” kind of way. Not the best way to live my life, I have decided.

So I cancelled all my plans. From last Friday night until the end of this week my only plans are my two jobs which, trust me, are more than enough. Working 5 days a week at two jobs that translates to 7 days in a row for multiple weeks in a row is more than exhausting.

So this weekend I did things, sure, I wasn’t at home twiddling my thumbs but I did the kinds of things that will help me be most productive in the office, most friendly in the restaurant, and most importantly….NOT SICK!

It was wonderful.

It was refreshing.

I think I’m going to not-make-plans more often. Things like ALL MY LAUNDRY get accomplished. And tonight I will (hopefully and finally) make it to IKEA for a bookshelf that will save my literature from boxes on the patio. After we moved…how long ago?

The point being: Stay sane. Try soul care!


1 comment:

  1. Good for you for trying to take better care of your body. And I have great news for you...the older you get, the easier it gets. You still make way too many plans, but when you are old you forget half of them!! Now what was it we were talking about?
    U.D.

    ReplyDelete