Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Boot Camp - Beginnings

This week I have begun a quest for fitness. Not because I think I need to lose weight or look better but because I love the energy and focus gained from being in shape and on a regular workout routine. And any substitution of fat for muscle or improved appearances that come with that....well, I won't complain.

So far things have gone well with my alarm going off at 4:30 and laying in bed in denial until I hear my roommate's footsteps going down the stairs. Then I throw on some gym clothes, tumble in the car, complain that the moon is still out and begin the drive to "The Camp" in Chino Hills. Next comes one hour of intense cardio, upper, lower and full-body workout exercises with the activity changing every 1-5 minutes and your heart rate never lowering until the cool-down at the end. I was tempted to hate my life the first day since it has been so long since I worked out but I found myself really enjoying the time and the hour flies by every time.

There really aren't any words for the satisfaction that comes after a good, hard workout and on the 6am drive back home I anticipate having a wonderful two hours to make coffee, breakfast, shower, iron my clothes for the day and primp before being in the office around 8. While I am tired at points during the day from getting up so early and working so hard I also have noticed a lot more positive energy to pour into my work.

Along with the workout comes a recommended diet plan. While I am not going to ONLY eat egg whites (I'll never understand the point of that) I am going to be following their recommended plan of 6 small meals a day as opposed to 3 big ones and lots and lots of fruits and veggies and far fewer carbs. It's has been fun to be forced to be a little creative with my groceries especially when so much of my diet up to this point has consisted of pastas and breads and cheeses....mmmm. Ok well maybe I'll keep the cheese around.

So far my favorite early-morning breakfast has been a 3-egg omelet with feta cheese, spinach and tomatoes. It was so easy to cook and was made up of things I already had in the fridge. So convenient. My one exception to this whole diet-thing is going to be lattes (let's face it, I'll never give those up) but a combination of watching my spending AND my eating has at least caused me to cut back a little bit.

I can't wait to complete this first week of workouts and see if it EVER gets easier to wake up at 4:30am....but I doubt it.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mel,

    4:30am wake-up alarm must be brutal. I totally hear ya on gaining energy and being able to focus more. :-)

    Don't forget to add Lucky Charms to your intake!

    P.S. I'm loving the Eccl 12:13 verse. Micah 6:8 is also a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so tough! I love waking up early when it happens but I'm not quite ready to sacrifice staying up late yet...although last night I fell asleep in the car coming back from Diddy Riese at 11:30, I feel so old :((((( Waking up early is great because you have so much time to get centered before the day begins - I've been starting every day by sitting outside and either reading, writing, journaling, or praying/reading Scripture...or at least doing homework if I have to! Taking time to sit with some thoughts, whatever they may be, instead of getting up and rushing around first thing is making my days so much better. Here's to effective morning routines! I miss living with you! -Mal

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! This is exactly what the world needs (at least my world). Morning is SO the best time...fresh, crisp, and new. Good for you, Mellisa, for making yourself get up and do that workout, and good for you, Mal, for getting up to commune with the world. If you think about it, your now getting an extra 2-3 hours a day, which is like getting another 21 hours a week...almost another whole day. Long live the morning people and thank God for the DVR because all the shows I like come on WAY past my bed time:)
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzers, props to you!! That sounds intense...in a wonderful sort of way. I'm really counting on living in London having great effects on my health. I haven't really be in shape for awhile now but I hope all the walking fixes that. I definitely need to get on the whole more water, veggies & fruit starting now though!

    ReplyDelete