Wednesday, December 7, 2011

To work, or not to work...

 I have always felt that one should enjoy what they do. I understand that every day you get out of bed to go to your job you're not going to be skipping and singing with glee, but overall the feelings towards work should be positive. In my mind, if I'm going to be spending 40+ hours a week doing something I sure as heck want to like it! At least a little.

Now that I am "out in the real world" however, I am realizing that this is easier said than done.

There are so many factors that go into making the workplace enjoyable over which you have no control that at times it really is impossible to enjoy the hours spent working even though you may appreciate the employment.

I find solace in Dorthy Sayers' admonitions on work and our attitude towards it.
"I have already, on a previous occasion, spoken at some length on the subject of Work and Vocation. What I urged then was a thoroughgoing revolution in our whole attitude to work. I asked that it should be looked upon, not as a necessary drudgery to be undergone for the purpose of making money, but as a way of life in which the nature of man should find its proper exercise and delight and so fulfill itself to the glory of God. That it should, in fact, be thought of as a creative activity undertaken for the love of the work itself; and that man, made in God's image, should make things, as God makes them, for the sake of doing well a thing that is well worth doing." ~ Dorothy Sayers
This is encouraging because not only is it a challenge to find an occupation that is worthwhile but also puts the responsibility on my shoulders to perceive the workplace as a way of bringing glory to the Lord. Regardless of your or my circumstances.

So work! And do it well, for His plans are greater than ours and life is too short to spend your time doing something you hate.


No comments:

Post a Comment