Saturday, June 18, 2011

Travel Adventures

Time at work is just flying by as I am sitting on a plane to St. Louis, Missouri headed to my third trade show with Future Concepts working with their customer relations management. For Future Concepts this involves a lot of traveling, trade shows, networking, and demos. The first trip I went on was to Washington DC for a couple of days before school ended. The trip itself was less than two full days, the show was slow, and I almost missed my connection on the flight home due to a delayed flight out of the JFK airport in DC but I made it safely. The beginning of this week began bright and early with a trip to San Diego for a show there. My CEO (Wayne) and I drove our “Technology Advanced Command and Control Vehicle” down to the Hilton Bayfront in San Diego and spent the next few days making over 50 potentially strong contacts! I was informed this was a far from normal experience but I’m hoping I’ll find similar successes elsewhere. The next step of course being the most important: following up.

I learned quite a bit on the San Diego trip. Things like Wayne is very observant, easy to travel with, and never stops thinking about the next step for our company! I felt a lot more comfortable with the product after this trip and really enjoyed exploring a bit of the Gas Lamp district in San Diego.

This final trip for the month has already been full of adventure! Apparently Wayne has horrible luck traveling because we got to the Ontario airport in plenty of time for our 7:30am flight (yes, I was up at 5am on a Saturday) only to discover that our plane was three hours late and we would miss our connection AND all other flights with United were completely booked. After some investigation we re-scheduled our whole day to fly out at 3pm and end up in St. Louis at midnight instead of 4pm. This was ok with me, seeing as how it meant I got to go home and get back in bed for a few more hours!

Tomorrow holds a few hours of set up, an evening reception and the whole rest of the day to enjoy the weekend and do a little sight seeing. I plan to eat somewhere along the Mississippi River and go up in the famous arch representing the “Gateway to the West”.
My first impressions of traveling for work have been enjoyable. Wayne is a “work first, play later” kind of guy so although the trips are always a lot of work, we have managed to squeeze in a little fun and a few cocktails. I still haven’t been able to get rid of the feeling of having forgotten something after I pack, and I always miss Andrew while I am gone but I haven’t died of separation anxiety yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment