Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My love-hate relationship with red lipstick.

I love red lipstick. Bright. Beautiful. Bold. How could one ask for more when trying to dress up your look for the office or a party? Unfortunately, there are a number of drawbacks to red lipstick that I have recently become closely familiar with.


WHY ONE SHOULD NOT WEAR RED LIPSTICK ON A DATE
You really don't want his first words to be, you have lipstick on your teeth. 


WHY ONE SHOULD NOT WEAR RED LIPSTICK ON NEW YEAR'S EVE
1. Constant application necessary. And let's be honest, who wants to have to worry about what their lipstick looks like during the countdown-to-midnight?
2. Your champagne glass will be forever changed. Red lipstick comes off. Frequently and in large quantities so your host will spend all of their New Year's Day trying to scrub your lipstick off of his/her champagne glasses. 
3. Your  midnight kiss will thank you. Personally, I like my men without lipstick on. 


WHY ONE SHOULD NOT WEAR RED LIPSTICK TO THE OFFICE
It bleeds. By the end of the day your lips will look a little more...well, clownish, than the really should.

I still love red lipstick. 

So here is my question to you, how do we avoid these calamities!? Am I just new to the game or are this sincerely unavoidable elements of big, red, beautiful lips?


3 comments:

  1. The following is an article that turned my wearing lipstick into a much more pleasurable experience:
    http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/makeup/lips/easy-tips-wearing-red-lipstick-10000001635060/index.html

    Thank you for asking.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I've never read a post dedicated to red lipstick, gotta say I love it. :-P I've been wearing it myself lately, mainly because heavy make-up wearing is required for my make-up selling job. I've found that an enjoyable way to wear it is by first applying a moisturizing lip balm or chapstick and then a small amount of red. It goes a lot farther if it's not the only thing on your lips and it also means you won't have to deal with as much bleeding or reapplying. An even better option is lip & cheek stain. It'll last all day and you can still apply a balm or gloss over top to make it look fresh.

    Long comment. Wow, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try a new approach next time I get a fancy for red lips! Maybe tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete