Monday, January 30, 2012

Valentine's Day....again.

I am not usually one to dislike things.

I like a lot of different things. 

Valentine's Day is not one of them.

Over the course of my years as an "eligible Valentine" there have been a number of memorable years but nothing like that date night every little girl dreams about.

When you're younger, Valentine's day just means lots of red dresses, candy, and goodies from Grandma. Now no complaints here on THAT set-up. 

But then you get older and there is a lot more pressure to be #winning at the dating world. It doesn't even matter if you have someone or not, on Valentine's Day it is almost essential to have a date. 

Now throw that pressure onto a brand new relationship that really doesn't need the stress nor does it have the history for a truly romantic evening...chaos. 

My first year at college, Valentine's Day was girls' night and my girlfriends and I got dressed up, got Starbucks and went to a movie. I wore a red coat. 

The next two years were highlighted with making extra money at the restaurant I work at off of everyone else who had a Valentine and getting yelled at by grumpy men who didn't have a reservation or snapped at by women who really needed another drink because their night was not going as they had imagined. And then of course there is the truly precious couple or two that just make you want to be in love with someone on the spot. 

Last year I even had a friend drop off flowers and balloons and chocolates to my apartment on his way to HIS Valentine....

Oh yes, I am not a fan of Valentine's Day.

Now in reality, here's why: I am a romantic.

To my absolute chore I believe in doors being opened for me, flowers just because, and when I find Mr. Right I want him to get my Dad's permission.

I WANT that perfect date and because I haven't found it yet, well, I shall relish my dislike for this obligatory holiday and I will not wear red.


No comments:

Post a Comment